Thursday, January 21, 2010

A few dialogues which I liked

21 Grams -

"There is a number hidden in every act of life, in every aspect of the universe. Fractals, matter...that there's a number screaming to tell us something. Am I boring you?"

"No. No. L..."

"I'm sorry. I guess I try to tell them that numbers are a door...to understanding a mystery that's bigger than us. How two people, strangers, come to meet. There's a poem by a Venezuelan writer that begins...'The earth turned to bring us closer. It turned on itself and in us...until it finally brought us together in this dream.'"

"That's beautiful."

"There's so many things that have to happen for two people to meet and...Anyway, that's...that's what mathematics are."


The Shawshank Redemption -

"I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. I like to think it was something so beautiful...it can't be expressed in words...and makes your heart ache
because of it. I tell you, those voices soared...higher and farther than anybody in a gray place dares to dream. It was like a beautiful bird flapped into our drab cage...and made those walls dissolve away. And for the briefest of moments...every last man at Shawshank felt free."


The Godfather -

"I've known you many years, but this is the first time you've asked for help. I can't remember the last time you invited me for a cup of coffee. Even though my wife is godmother to your only child. But let's be frank here. You never wanted my friendship. And you were afraid to be in my debt."


"I didn't want to get into trouble."

"I understand. You found paradise in America. You made a good living, had police protection and there were courts of law. You didn't need a friend like me. But now you come to me and say, 'Don Corleone, give me justice.' But you don't ask with respect. You don't offer friendship. You don't even think to call me Godfather. You come on my daughter's wedding day and ask me to murder for money."

"I ask you for justice."

"That is not justice. Your daughter is alive."

"Let them suffer, then, as she suffers. How much shall I pay you?"

"Bonasera, Bonasera. What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully? If you'd come in friendship, the scum that ruined your daughter would be suffering this very day. And if an honest man like you should make enemies, they'd be my enemies. And then they would fear you."

"Be my friend?
Godfather?"

"Good. Some day, and that day may never come, I'll ask a service of you. But until that day...accept this justice as a gift on my daughter's wedding day."

"Grazie, Godfather."

"Prego."


Saving Private Ryan -

"I have a letter here...written a long time ago to a Mrs Bixby in Boston. So bear with me.

Dear Madam,

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five...sons who died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine that would attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the republic they died to save. I pray that Our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement and leave only the cherished memory of the loved lost...and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours very sincerely and respectfully...
Abraham Lincoln."

No comments:

Post a Comment